At the top of my list for winter sewing was some plain knit tops, especially cream and black, that can wear under jackets. Next in line was a pair of black jeans.
For the tops, I went the top from McCalls M5890 (now OOP). I’d this so many times that I had to re-trace the pattern because the original was falling apart. The main reason that I keep going back to this pattern is because of the princess seams. I use a binding of the neckline and armholes rather than the turned & stitched edges suggested. I keep meaning to graft in a V neck.. I’ll get there … gunnawundae!
Anyway here they are. The black is a lightweight silk jersey while the bone and dark red tops are mid-weight viscose. Nothing really exciting but they work well with other items in my closet – especially the dark red one with the Tosti jacket.
click on image to enlarge
The fabric for the jeans is a heavyweight non-stretch black denim. Unfortunately it is still loosing dye and has a bit of a marbled look to it at the moment. Another couple of washes and it will be OK. I tend not to wash denim before I sew. Many people will disagree with this. But I find that most denim tends to give a little with wear and I end up with a better fit. My favourite jeans block started from a boyfriend jeans pattern from Knipmode, but has had a lot of mods to get a semi-relaxed fit that I like. It is perfect for non-stretch fabrics.
For these jeans I modified the pattern to get the same seam details as the pattern shown; designed for stretch fabrics & with a skinny fit. I made the bottom cuff about 6cm high. The side front panel starts midway along the pocket opening, a little wider at the hip and then a fixed with through to the hem.
The waistband, pocket bags and cuffs are lined with a quilting cotton. I also lined the back pockets for a bit of an indulgence. Nobody would no, but it does feel nice when I put my hand into the pocket. click image to enlarge