Dyeing lingerie elastics: A ‘bright’ idea

One of the best things about making your own lingerie is that you can be as flamboyant with the colour schemes as you like. I have two bright, summery prints that I want to make into lingerie sets – one has oranges, limes & watermelons on it, the other has palm fronds in yellow, lime, blue and black. I’ve found purchasing the right colours for the elastics and closures can be a bit hit & miss so I’ve been dyeing my own.

The two photos below show the fabrics with the finished dyed findings. I’m pretty chuffed at how the colours turned out.


What I’m aiming for…

These are the sketches for the two sets and a rough colour scheme.

The bra pattern is Merckweardigh MIX5L.   I haven’t made this one before.  It is a soft cup bra for larger sizes.  I’m just below the smallest size but I think I can get away with it.   I have the paper version, but there is also a PDF version for the bra only.  The paper pattern also includes a tankini version which I’m hoping to make for this year’s togs.  The knickers patterns for the palm set is from SV32 which I’ve made before.  The other is copied from RTW.

Most of the raw materials came from M-Recht in Melbourne.  The FOE and narrow elastics I’ve bought as a 100m roll.  The others, like the casings and silicon backed bra-straps as 10m packs.  The rings & slides, in 50pc packs, are also dyeable.  It costs a bit initially to buy in bulk, but I find it is cheaper and more flexible in the long run.

From the colours in the doodle, I worked out what lengths I needed of which colours.  I’ve used the measurements for the largest size, so I won’t run short.  For the palm print I couldn’t decide if I liked a blue or yellow strap so I’ve dyed both just in case.  The lengths were cut and soon I had 4 plastic bags with all the bits and pieces for each colour

The dyepot…

I’ve used Landscape Dyes from KraftKolour in the primary colours, plus black (Wattle, Desert Pea, Marine, Currawong).  It is acid dye suitable for wool, silk and nylon.

 

The yellow is straight Wattle.

Yellow dyepot for palm print

Yellow dyepot for palm print

The orange is the left over yellow dyepot with a touch of red added in.  The initial colour was similar to the orange in the print.  I pulled the FOE for the knickers  and some extras for another bra out at this stage.  Then added a touch more red to get a colour similar to the powerstretch.

Orange dyepot for fruity print

Orange dyepot for fruity print

 

 

The green is mostly yellow with a bit of blue.  Often the colours will look darker in the pot that they do when dried.  Initially I though I’d added too much blue, but it turned out pretty close.

Dye mix for the green

Dye mix for the green

Green dyepot for either print.

Green dyepot for either print.

The dark blue is marine with a bit of black.  Again this looked way too dark in the pot but cam up a good match for the dark blue leaves in the print.

Finished bags

Finished bags

Washed and dried…

Lovely bold colours.  I particularly like how the rings & slides have turned out.  The white stripe is the silicon back on the bra straps.

Guess the next thing is to start sewing!

Rings & closures

Rings & closures

Fruit colours

Fruit colours

Palm print colours

Palm print colours

 

The finished sets can be seen in the following posts …

 

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Dyeing lingerie elastics: A ‘bright’ idea

Please leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s